Some brands become so popular people begin to refer to all products in the category by that name, such as Kleenex or Band-Aid. Similarly, push-to-connect fittings weren’t quite as popular as they are today until Reliance Worldwide Corporation (RWC) introduced them to the U.S. market nearly 20 years ago. It revolutionized the category and made Read more
Some brands become so popular people begin to refer to all products in the category by that name, such as Kleenex or Band-Aid.
Similarly, push-to-connect fittings weren’t quite as popular as they are today until Reliance Worldwide Corporation (RWC) introduced them to the U.S. market nearly 20 years ago. It revolutionized the category and made the work of contractors and plumbers quicker, more efficient and more reliable. Now, SharkBite brass push fittings are the industry standard for push-to-connect plumbing— so much so that some people refer to fittings from other brands as SharkBite.
SharkBite’s Journey to the U.S.
After seeing the success of its push-to-connect fittings in Australia, water control and plumbing solutions manufacturer RWC introduced the fittings in the U.S. market as the SharkBite push-to-connect plumbing system in 2004. Today, SharkBite has become so popular that it is estimated a fitting connection is made every 2.5 seconds, according to the manufacturer’s data.
Fittings That Pushed the Boundaries of Plumbing Tech
Before push-to-connect technology, plumbers could only rely on soldering, gluing or using a specialized tool to connect pipes. These methods are sufficient in some cases but can be challenging when transitioning between different pipe types or installing in tight spaces.
To address these issues, SharkBite designed its push-to-connect fittings to connect different pipe types such as PEX, copper, CPVC, PE-RT and HDPE in tight spaces without special tools, crimps, glue or soldering.
Further Advancing Push-to-connect Technology
With SharkBite’s success, especially as a solution for emergency repairs and pipe transitions, RWC continued to build upon its innovations in push-to-connect technology:
- SharkBite introduced its own brand of durable yet flexible PEX pipe into North America. The pipe enables quicker leak repairs compared to rigid copper pipe and is often quicker to install in tight spaces.
- The company launched 1-1/4 in., 1-1/2 in. and 2 in. SharkBite fittings, which gives contractors who work on commercial projects the ability to work quicker using push-to-connect technology.
- SharkBite launched EvoPEX fittings. The groundbreaking PEX-only fitting system for meter-to-fixture installation allows for faster and more reliable installations on new construction jobsites.
A Connection You Can Trust
Plumbers can trust the secure fit of a push-to-connect fitting thanks to its tight-sealing o-ring, pipe-locking stainless steel grab ring and corrosion-resistant brass body. All of its parts work together to make a 3-second connection long-lasting, and the fittings require no tools, can be connected in wet lines and are compatible with multiple types of pipe.
Every new product SharkBite introduces is created to empower contractors to work smarter, not harder. By reducing installation times, SharkBite gives contractors time back that they can spend on parts of their job that require more resources, like growing their business and investing in their workforce.
Michael Kornegay is the SharkBite product manager at RWC — a market leader and manufacturer of water control systems and plumbing solutions for residential, commercial and industrial applications.
Complete Suite Includes SharkBite and HoldRite Products Designed for Efficiency Reliance Worldwide Corporation (RWC) is a market leader and manufacturer of water control systems and plumbing solutions for residential and commercial applications. For plumbing business owners, the importance of building a strong team that works together seamlessly and efficiently is paramount. The same holds true Read more
Complete Suite Includes SharkBite and HoldRite Products Designed for Efficiency
Reliance Worldwide Corporation (RWC) is a market leader and manufacturer of water control systems and plumbing solutions for residential and commercial applications.
For plumbing business owners, the importance of building a strong team that works together seamlessly and efficiently is paramount. The same holds true for RWC’s engineers when developing water heater solutions. All products must work in concert to perform and last.
That’s why RWC offers a complete water heater installation system designed to increase productivity and durability on the job. The products, ranging from fittings and valves to tank supports, work together so users can purchase the bulk of water heater installation materials from a single source. This ensures compatibility, efficiency and quality assurance.
RWC’s water heater products, which work together as a complete solution, include:
- SharkBite Flexible Water Heater Connectors – Created with SharkBite push-to-connect ends, the water heater connectors enable quick installation. Perfect for pipes in tight spaces that don’t line up when replacing a water heater, the connectors are available in corrugated and braided hoses.
- SharkBite Thermal Expansion Relief Valve – SharkBite Thermal Expansion Relief Valve eliminate the need for an expansion tank, shut-off valve and fitting. Compatible with PEX, copper, CPVC, PE-RT, and HDPE pipe, the valve protects hot water supply systems where high-pressure conditions are likely to occur as a result of thermal expansion.
- HoldRite Water Heater Quick Stand and Platform Accessories – HoldRite water heater accessories and equipment platforms are lab-tested and some of most recognized water heater bracing and support systems in the market. The platforms safely elevate water heaters above the floor, supporting up to 100 gallons while still meeting code requirements.
Want to see these water heater products and accessories in action? Check out this interactive video.
RWC intentionally creates solutions that integrate seamlessly while also meeting the needs and regulations of modern residential and commercial applications. Developed, assembled and tested by RWC’s team of engineers, users can be assured each water heater product and accessory is built with superior design and functionality. RWC uses strict quality control processes and sophisticated technology in each assembly unit, so by the time products hit shelves, they’re exceeding industry standards.
Water heaters are often installed in tight, confined spaces that can be difficult to access, including closets and basements. It’s important to have a complete range of solutions from one family of brands that provides the flexibility and continuity to complete almost any type of job, regardless of space.
Products can be found at plumbing wholesalers across the U.S. and Canada. For up-to-date product availability, users are encouraged to contact their local supplier.
Learn more about RWC and its family of brands.