By: Jason Abajian, North America Water Sales Manager at Resideo Many people have water-leak stories, now there is a solution Winter arrived a bit earlier than usual here in the Upper Midwest, and the moment I saw the projected cold snap, my mind immediately went to the maintenance involved in preparing my home for a long Read more
By: Jason Abajian, North America Water Sales Manager at Resideo
Many people have water-leak stories, now there is a solution
Winter arrived a bit earlier than usual here in the Upper Midwest, and the moment I saw the projected cold snap, my mind immediately went to the maintenance involved in preparing my home for a long winter in Traverse City, Mich., where our average snowfall is between 125 inches and 145 inches each year.
Questions like, ‘did I blow out my sprinkler lines so the water doesn’t freeze and crack the copper pipes and sprinkler heads?’ Or ‘is my boiler tuned up and ready for another heating season? I hate to leave my home unprotected.’ It’s my family’s sanctuary and a massive financial investment.
The force that can carve out the Grand Canyon can also carve out massive damage to your home. How can we protect our homes from this great force of nature? Knowledge and preparation are critical.
Water Leaks are on the Rise
Water makes up most of the human body and our earth, it’s more important than food to sustain life, and yet it is the largest menace for home insurance claims. Each year, about one in 60 homeowners files a water damage claim, accounting for 20% of all homeowner insurance claims.
I have inflated this statistic by having dealt with two water damage insurance claims myself. My first claim occurred in 2008. Four days after renting out our home after we struggled to sell it, the renter left a bathtub faucet running upstairs while they were at work and the loft next to the bathroom imploded into the living room below. If that was not bad enough, several years ago my friend’s four-year-old daughter flushed a towel down my current basement toilet and the towel then wrapped around my sewage sump pump and clogged it while the toilet continued to run. I came home late that night to 3 inches of water in the basement. The worst/best part happened when my plumber was replacing my sump pump. He offered me a water leak detector, so I’d be alerted if something like that happened again. The irony was that I already had a sample sitting in a box soaking wet – unused!
Beyond personal residences, think how vital water leak prevention devices can be in multi-family dwellings like condos and town homes, home rentals and even new construction. For example, if you were living in a condo and the property above yours had a pipe burst while your neighbor was away. Your neighbor’s nightmare is now yours, and the property below you and the building management company. Now the home insurance claim isn’t limited to your condo alone.
The same goes for any unoccupied home. Home rentals are notorious for large water damage claims due to faucets and fixtures being left open to run. I know from personal experience. Knowing your water supply line is protected, similar to a connected thermostat communicating your property is properly heating and cooling, is worth the price!
Stopping Water at the Source
The good news is that 93% of water leaks can be prevented. Utilizing well-placed water leak detectors that are connected to a water shutoff valve can help prevent catastrophic water damage. In 2021, Resideo Water Leak and Freeze detectors helped save 3 million gallons of water and helped prevent an estimated $1.9 million in insurance claims.
Today, I use Resideo’s new Braukmann L5 WiFi Water Shutoff Valve on my home’s water main and simply shutoff the water flow into my entire home while I travel via the Resideo app. I can also pair Resideo’s WiFi Water Leak & Freeze Detectors in high-risk places and use the actuator’s water sensor cable plugged directly into it – if any part of the cable gets wet, it will close off the actuator stopping water from entering our home. The water cables can be daisy chained up to 500 ft to protect a complete mechanical room. Pipes can leak and burst anywhere throughout the home, especially during the change of seasons, and this product offers me personal peace of mind.
Here are a few additional scenarios that could warrant a water management system and/or leak detection device:
- Air handler in the attic. Using water leak detection devices in or around a condensation pan would be a good idea so as to identify any water damage threat in an unconditioned space.
- Dehumidifier in a crawl space. The average dehumidifier captures 30-70 pints of water per day and this moisture needs to go somewhere. A water leak detector delivers peace of mind when the unit is out of sight.
- Laundry on the second floor. Water damage from a second story can heavily increase the liability of a water damage claims above one’s insurance deductible. A water leak detector will quickly alert you to an issue.
- Tankless water heater installed. If a homeowner has one of these, it’s likely they are resource conscious and may be more interested in reducing the amount of water lost to leaks.
- Sump pump pit. These devices are critical for providing protection to one’s home from ground water. Knowing there is a problem allows you to act before three inches of water fills the entire basement.
- Recent leak damage. Just as my plumber offered me when I had a water damage to my basement – there is no better time to offer water protection than after a customer has felt the sting of a water insurance claim.
What is peace of mind worth to you and your customers? The cost of water is rising like other utilities and so are monthly insurance premiums. Knowing that I do not need to worry about a pipe burst destroying my home and savings account while I visit the in-laws this Christmas will save some of my sanity, and you can’t put a price on that.
*Jason Abajian is the North America Water Sales Manager for Resideo’s Hydronic & Potable Water Solutions. Jason has spent more than 17 years working in the HVAC industry for Resideo Technologies, and previously Honeywell International. With a passion for education and making an impact on future generations, Jason worked for an HVAC installer in the summer, and was a high school teacher during the school year. What started as a summer gig turned into an ideal springboard for his purpose-driven career as a “Wet Head.” Jason is proud to work for an industry that can inspire others and deliver superior craftmanship, comfort and control with minimized environmental impact.
Contractors can help Homeowners play a large role in helping conserve water When you look at a map, it’s clear that water is Earth’s most abundant resource, and one of the most essential resources to our everyday life. And though it seems to flow endlessly, many people are surprised to learn that water is a Read more
Contractors can help Homeowners play a large role in helping conserve water
While a vast majority (89%) of the earth’s water is used and consumed for agricultural and industrial sectors (for example farmers for livestock and crops, and key players in food production), there are still steps each of us can take at home to help limit our water waste.
FOUR WAYS TO MINIMIZE UNNECESSARY WATER USE
There are certain elements relating to water that are out of our control – such as droughts or aging underground pipes. But we do have a direct impact on how we use water in our own homes. Homeowners can play a large role in helping conserve water in these four ways:
- Invest in a water management system. If a smart water management system detects a leak, the user can minimize water loss and damage through app alerts. For example, the user is notified and can either: 1.) turn off the water manually to, or; 2.) use a customized routine that would automatically turn off the water to the home. In 2021, Resideo water leak detectors helped stop an estimated 2.4 million gallons of water leaks and prevented $2.6M in insurance claims. That’s roughly enough water to fill an Olympic-sized swimming pool 3.6 times!
- Check for a leaky faucet. A faucet that drips once per second wastes 3,000 gallons annually. It can be caused by a multitude of things, such as corrosion or a loose O-Ring. These leaks are typically small and can be an easy, DIY fix.
- Consider your laundry and dishwasher. Use ENERGY-STAR and High Efficiency products in the kitchen and laundry room. These can save you money on your water bill by using two times less water. Also, washing dishes by hand uses 3.5 times more water than using a dishwasher.
- Re-use where you can. Capture rainwater by adding a rain barrel to the end of your gutters, which can conserve and hold 65-85 gallons of rainwater for your plants or outside cleaning. In your home, try reusing your cooking water for more plant watering!
With a few small changes to your daily lifestyle, you too can make a big impact on Earth’s most precious resource. More information about Resideo water solutions at Resideo.com/water.
FACT SHEET: HELPING PREVENT WATER DAMAGE BY SHUTTING OFF WATER AT THE SOURCE Water damage – including damage from freezing pipes – is one of the most common and most costly types of homeowner insurance claims. In fact, each year about one in 50 homeowners file an insurance claim for water damage or freezing pipes, which averages $11,098 Read more
FACT SHEET: HELPING PREVENT WATER DAMAGE BY SHUTTING OFF WATER AT THE SOURCE
New from Resideo, the Braukmann L5 WiFi Water Leak Shutoff Valve connects to the main water supply and can automatically turn off the supply to the home if a water leak is detected either by a sensor cable or a paired Resideo WiFI Water Leak and Freeze Detector.
For more than 100 years, Braukmann has stood for trusted and innovative water solutions for homeowners and contractors. Designed with the professional in mind, the high-quality valve is easy to install, support and offers easy monitoring via the Resideo App.
How it Works
The professionally installed L5 valve is added to the home’s main water supply in about ten minutes. An included, 5-foot cable sensor can be plugged into the L5 that detects water along its entire length. The L5 can also connect with future and existing Resideo WiFi Water Leak & Freeze Detectors to expand the coverage. Connect up to 100 sensor cables and lay them through a basement or utility room to extend the sensor length up to 500 feet.
Customers can use the Resideo App to customize triggers, manage alerts and set up shutoff events. For example, when the sensor cable detects water, it can:
- Automatically signal to the L5 to close the valve to turn off the water supply to the house; and,
- Alert the user via the Resideo App and the user can adjust the shutoff valve with the Resideo App.
The L5 has a five-year limited warranty, runs on an A/C power supply and is available through select distributors in November 2022. Future L Series water leak detectors are expected in 2023.
RESIDEO WIFI WATER LEAK & FREEZE DETECTOR
During colder weather, pipes may burst when the water inside them freezes and expands. That’s why, in addition to water leaks, the Resideo WiFi Water Leak & Freeze Detector also can sense temperature changes and humidity, then send an alert – either via the app or the device – when the temperature dips low enough that the pipes could freeze.
The sensor runs on three AA batteries, which are rated to last up to three years with regular use. It includes a 48-inch sensor cable – the entire length of which can detect leaks – that can be combined with other cables for coverage of a whole room.
“I recently installed the L5 in my home and the installation process was extremely easy – and the app set up was very user-friendly. This product is made from the same great quality we can trust and expect from Resideo. I think an automatic water shutoff system is critical to have in a home and will recommend it to my customers. A water shutoff system is just as important as having a smoke and carbon monoxide alarms in a home.” – Dominick Esposito, Plumbing & Water systems Product Manager at F.W. Webb Company
*Additional testimonials and photos available on request.
Download zip file of images: Water.zip
Presents awards for excellence in life safety, community impact and sales Each year, Resideo invites its network of professionals to ‘connect,’ to learn and to share insights during a three-day customer event. Now in its thirty-third year, the CONNECT 2022 customer event was deeply impacted by the community connections those professionals have, the communities they Read more
Presents awards for excellence in life safety, community impact and sales
Each year, Resideo invites its network of professionals to ‘connect,’ to learn and to share insights during a three-day customer event. Now in its thirty-third year, the CONNECT 2022 customer event was deeply impacted by the community connections those professionals have, the communities they impact and how they are making a difference each and every day.
“Everyone in this room helps keep bad things from happening to good people,” said Scott Harkins, Vice President of Sales at Resideo during his remarks on stage.
With a theme focused on “Making a Difference,” Resideo gathered nearly 500 customers and partners for the annual event, shared new products and services, hosted educational sessions and shared stories about the collective impact made throughout the year.
Community Service Activity Helps Florida Community in Need
In September 2022, Hurricane Ian hit the west coast of Florida and devastated the Ft. Myers area, which is located about 60 miles north of the CONNECT 2022 event hosted in Marco Island, Fla. Each year, the community service event at CONNECT is popular, but the 2022 event sparked unmatched enthusiasm and attendance. A cross-section of Resideo customers and employees helped Florida communities impacted by the hurricane.
Guests created disaster relief kits that were donated to the Fort Meyers area United Way, and additional funds were raised for the American Red Cross of Central Florida and its local recovery efforts. The group packed care packages, including Resideo’s First Alert smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, that contain essential items needed for recovery.
The Team Gleason Foundation Receives Making a Difference Award
Each year, Resideo presents a Life Safety Award to a deserving organization or team that acted during an emergency, and in the past presented the award to first responders and organizations providing service dogs for Veterans, for example. At CONNECT 2022, the award was re-named the Making a Difference Award and presented virtually by Mike Rowe, host of Dirty Jobs, to Team Gleason.
Team Gleason provides ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) patients with resources that can help them continue to live purposeful lives. The organization receives more than 500 requests per month for automation services for patients with ALS.
“Until there is a cure for ALS, technology is the cure,” said Steve Gleason, founder of Team Gleason. Steve, a former NFL special teams player for the New Orleans Saints, was diagnosed with ALS in 2011. Team Gleason has provided over $20 million in adventure, technology, equipment, and care services to more than 30,000 people living with ALS and countless others through advocacy and support.
In his virtual acceptance speech video, Steve uses his unique style of humor to encourage others and he shares his gratitude for Resideo’s commitment. His last words – “no white flags” – demonstrate his commitment to perseverance and tenacity to make a difference in his community.
Currently, Team Gleason offers ALS patients an off-the-shelf home automation product and is looking to enhance it to provide a more customized level of care for the patients they serve. With the help of Resideo’s professional installation network, the ALS community can realize the benefits of Resideo’s connected solutions, and they can stay engaged with their home.
“From air purification and home comfort controls to security and home automation, our products for this community are not just a convenience but a necessity,” said Quentin Gunther, Security Sales Manager and Resideo Premier Security Dealer program leader. “I was very moved when watching someone control their home using just their eyes. I lost my mother-in-law to ALS twenty years ago and am inspired to help offer technology to ALS patients like her because I know it would have had a profound impact on her life.”
Resideo Honors Customers Making a Difference
In 2022, Resideo’s professional HVAC and Security professionals made a difference in their communities, and two very special awards were presented during the awards presentation:
- 2022 Medal of Honor: John Loud, from LOUD Security, for outstanding contributions to the industry and local community.
- 2022 Lifetime Achievement Award: Ralph Sevinor, from Wayne Alarm, for shaping the future security industry and preserving its history.
Resideo honored its professional partners with awards in life safety, product application and sales excellence:
- 2022 Resideo Platinum PERKS Professional of the Year: Airtron
- 2022 Premier Security Dealer of the Year Award: Vyanet
- 2022 Rookie of the Year: Radiant Security
- 2022 HVAC Excellence: HomeServe USA
- 2022 Security Residential Installation of the Year: Suffolk Security
- 2022 HVAC Residential Installation of the Year: Badger Bob’s Services
- 2022 Security Light Commercial Installation of the Year: A-Bell Alarms Company
- 2022 Light Commercial Installation of the Year: Maynor Service Company
- 2022 Security Salesperson of the Year: Drew Stevens of Holmes Security Systems
- 2022 Security Salesperson of the Year: Sandrine Brousseau of Le Groupe Vigilance Inc.
- 2022 Comfort Salesperson of the Year: James Lohbeck of Crane Heating and Air Conditioning
- 2022 Whole Home Visionary:
– HVAC: Genz-Ryan Heating, Cooling, Plumbing and Electrical
– Security: Guardian Systems
- 2022 Security Sales Leader of the Year: Danny Goodpastor at Bates Security
- 2022 HVAC Sales Leader of the Year: Scott Beach, Fogel Services
Four awards were handed out for Life Safety: Alarm Detection Systems, Alarm Protection Services (APS), Bates Security and Holmes Security Systems.
Resideo presented 22 companies with awards for their contributions to their community, which included collecting food drive donations, installing free security systems for crime victims, hosting events for kids, and supporting law enforcement:
Mark your calendars! CONNECT 2023 will be Nov. 2-5 and hosted at the Westin Kierland Hotel in Scottsdale, AZ.
Adds Four Hydronic Solutions, Reintroduces Braukmann Product Name to Global Product Offering Resideo Technologies Inc. (NYSE: REZI), a leading global provider of home comfort and security solutions, today announced new hydronic heating components that complement its full water solutions portfolio. Resideo’s world-class hydronic portfolio offers the ultimate in performance, comfort and consistency, and works together seamlessly Read more
Adds Four Hydronic Solutions, Reintroduces Braukmann Product Name to Global Product Offering
Resideo Technologies Inc. (NYSE: REZI), a leading global provider of home comfort and security solutions, today announced new hydronic heating components that complement its full water solutions portfolio. Resideo’s world-class hydronic portfolio offers the ultimate in performance, comfort and consistency, and works together seamlessly to offer an end-to-end hydronic control system.
“Our professional contractors’ time and energy are precious, so we’re looking forward to offering them a complete, easy-to-install hydronics system from Resideo that is engineered for accuracy, safety and reliability,” said Matthew Robbins, vice president global product management, Comfort & Care. “Our new hydronics solutions are our first Resideo-branded offerings and serve as a true example of what our professionals can expect from Resideo’s behind-the-wall solutions: quality solutions that help save our professionals time, money, labor, and parts.”
Resideo’s new hydronic solutions include:
- AquaPUMP Variable Speed Circulating Pumps are offered in both cast iron and stainless-steel models for closed- and open-looped applications. Available in five different modes of operation, the pumps provide versatility to cover the performance of fixed- and variable-speed circulators and utilize pressure responsive control. These quiet and energy-efficient pumps are backed by a five-year warranty.
- Magnetic Hydraulic Separators regulate pressure, reduce flow velocity, minimize audible noises with air elimination and protect the boiler system from ferrous sediment with a standardized magnet. Magnetic Hydraulic Separators are ideal for greater boiler efficiency and protection in various applications from residential homes to multi-family housing. Hydraulic Separator bodies are offered with union connections from one-to two-inch for sweat, threaded, or press fitting. Flanged bodies are available with connections from two to six inches.
- Press PV SuperVent® Air Eliminators easily vent out the air in hydronic systems with the most secure connection offered in the industry. SuperVent® Air Eliminators have debris baffles to control dirt fouling and to prevent failing. The adjustable collar ring allows for easy installation and application flexibility.
- Press Boiler Trim Kits offer a high-quality Press PV SuperVent® Air Eliminator, Press NK300 boiler feed combination and expansion tank with service check valve all in one box. Best-in-class fittings make for a simple, seamless and high-quality installation.
The newly expanded hydronic portfolio is now available in the U.S. and Canada through Resideo’s distribution network.
Resideo is reintroducing the Braukmann product name to its global potable water products, such as pressure reducing valves and mixing valves. The changes reflect the company’s ongoing opportunity to build and strengthen the Resideo brand and product portfolio.
“Our European and North American customers have known and trusted the Braukmann name for more than 40 years, and we’re honored to bring back the well-known potable water product family,” said Lisa Goldson Armstrong, vice president of global marketing at Resideo. “Reintroducing the Braukmann name acknowledges our proud heritage and gives us an opportunity to take another step in our Resideo brand journey.”
The company acquired Braukmann in 1980 from its founder, and with more than 75 years of experience in the European residential water control market it’s become well-known for demonstrating proven reliability. The water products can be found in more than 18 million households and are trusted by more than 100,000 installers.
Resideo Braukmann solutions are available globally through Resideo’s distribution network.